3.12.2010

Foot In The Door

What a week it has been so far. Jacob arrived at my house on Monday morning, since he's on his spring break and we went to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I love Alice in Wonderland and Tim Burton movies and it was definitely Tim Burton's style. It's much darker than the Disney version (which wasn't a big surprise) and it was visually stimulating. I loved all of the costumes and the makeup. I think it may have followed the book more closely, but since I haven't read the book I can't be sure.

Then on Tuesday we went out to brunch and after filling myself to my limit (being so deliciously satisfied with my meal) we decided to venture to the Minnesota Institute of Arts. I love this art museum and since Jacob had never been there we had to go. Not to mention that it's free and who doesn't love a fun, original, free date? I'm not super into ancient art so when I'm there I like to spend the majority of my time drooling over the contemporary pieces. However, I think where we ended up spending most of our time was in the Foot in the Door 4 exhibit. Every ten years the MIA puts on this exhibit and it's open to all Minnesota artists, everyone of any age who lives in Minnesota and considers themselves to be an artist. The only rule is that your work of art, be it a painting, sculpture, drawing, photograph, what have you, has to be no larger than a square foot. So with multiple rooms of floor to ceiling works of art we made our way through and tried to take in as much of the art as we could. There was such a variety of pieces, from amazing painted self-portraits to a child's drawing. I couldn't help but feel so inspired as I saw all of the different styles and techniques of artwork. I was a bit sad to hear that it only comes around every ten years but come 2020 I really want to submit something for the exhibit. In the mean time I really want to develop my voice as an artist, figure out my original style and do some experimenting so that by the time Foot in the Door 5 rolls around and a piece of my art is hanging amongst hundreds of others, I can look at it and see that it's telling the story that I want to and to be able to tell that it's my artwork without having to check the signature. Here are just a few of my favorites but you should go and check it out and if you don't leave near the museum you can look at all of the participants work here.
I can't say why but the first piece is my favorite. After spending a couple more days together, including a trip to Petland to look at all of the adorable little puppies, Jacob left tonight to go to Eau Claire. Tomorrow morning my best friend will be here and we too will be headed to Eau Claire to meet up with some friends and have an enjoyable weekend. I am really looking forward to spending some time with my friends again, seeing as how they all live in different states. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...